– Hi, Eero Yli-Vakkuri here. I’d like to order a blank painting canvas.
– Allright. What size do you have in mind?
– I don’t know. What’s a normal size for a painting?
– Normal? Well it depends on what you are painting. We can make any size of canvas you want. Are you painting a landscape or a portrait?
– I don’t really know. I guess I’m not really painting. I just want the canvas and to present it as an art object.
– Oh. Well you still need to tell me the size and other specifications. Do you want it primed or not and other details.
– Jeah. I think it would be nice if it were primed with gesso. White gesso, I think and I guess it’s both a landscape and a portrait. But I’m not sure about the size. What would you recommend?
– If you don’t know the size I don’t think we can help you. I can’t give you a prize for the work or..
– What are you currently working on?
– I’m currently framing a painting.
– What size is it?
– It’s about 50x55cm. It’s a still life. No… Wait, let me check. It’s 53x55cm.
– Ok. Is that be a size you could make for me too?
– Sure, we can make any size of a canvas you want.
– Yeah. I’ll take the 53x55cm.
– Primed with white gesso?
– Yes, please. Do you think it should be framed too?
– It’s really not for me to say. We can have it framed but normally a frame is selected for the painting. The frame depends on its colors it has and so on.
– I don’t plan on painting anything on it. It would just be left as it is.
– I don’t know what would be the point of framing it then. The frame is intended to protect the painting and to make it look better but if there there is no painting, I don’t think that the frame would do anything to it.
– So no frame then?
– I don’t personally see the point but we can put a frame to it.
– What’s the most normal type of frame you use with paintings.
– It depends very much on the colors and theme of the painting and what our clients want. Some want just plain wood with lacquer, other want a gilded frame. The idea is that the frame does not to disturb the artwork and protects it. The painting I have here is going to be framed with a simple wood with transparent lacquer frame.
– I like it. Can you use that for my canvas too?
– Sure. It’s not a problem to me.
– Great. I’d like to order one.
– A blank canvas 53x55cm with a plain wooden frame?
– When do you want it to be ready?
– What time suits you best?
– When do you need?
– I don’t know if I really need it. Anytime which suits you best..
– In two weeks?
– Ok. We’ll have the canvas and frame ready for you in two weeks.
– Great. I’ll come get it then! Thank you very much.
– Sure. It will be ready by then and you can fetch it from the workshop using your name as a reference.