A thorough and nice no input mixing tutorial by Sarah Belle Reid (2019).
Build a perf-board unit of the a Simple EQ / Baxandall EQ module (the Tilt channel is still in the making). The build was an ordeal. I did how ever learn that the reverse polarity protection of the circuit works well (it even saved an IC I popped in the wrong way) and that my noisy DC 5-24v to Dual Power 12v -12v 5v -5v 3.3v supply is robust. I attempted to plan the build using various board design tools (Fritzing worked best for me) but ended up just soldering components down following the schematic.
I added two switches to my build, which can be used to bypass the capacitors controlling the bass response (27nf) and/or the treble (1nf). Changing the 27pf didn’t have much effect. I added female pin headers which can be used to insert different capacitors in their place. My first water capacitor (using faux s.pellegrino) shows a value of ~35pf and it has an effect on the sound. Next I’ll build more water capacitors, which hopefully will have higher values for more distinct effects. I’ll also have to design a front panel, which can used to mount the bulky capacitors (The one I have has ~20ml of water in it).
During my tests I’ve discovered that the electrical resistance of sparkling mineral water drops slowly (as the water loses its bubbles). I believe that this property could be used as vca of sorts. I plant to make a simple signal divider, which uses sparkling mineral water as a conductor. This signal multiplier would be useful for one-shot slowly amplifying ramps (for example adding volume). Water and electronics is a beautiful combination.
Third experiment with Epilog laser cutter went well. Not perfect still and my designs had issues too. I managed to make a 84hp long case from 7mm plywood, panels and jigs I can use for assembling modules. Working frantically. Started collecting schematics for future builds and found a really nice resource Experimentalists Anonymous DIY Archives.
Secured a set of rails to my rack to accommodate 1u tiles. Breadboard a Simple EQ / Baxandall EQ unit. Everything works but I’d like to boost the volume. The diy water-capacitor is in the making, the epoxies and insulators are taking a long time to dry. Used acrylic-paint as an insulator, got the idea from Johann Diedricks Sound Monsters workshop. Kids painted over the boards with thick paint after soldering them and the units worked fine after (the paint needs to dry).
Working as a substitute janitor for our housing-hold company.
Made a shoulder pad for my hoodie using the front of my Frenchie’s Gym cap. Looks cool. The cap was always to small for my head and it works better as a fashion joke anyway. Took a one and a half month break from gym activities due to a shoulder injury. I have a gym date on the 17th and I have just enough time to restore my gains.
Second experiment with Epilog laser cutter worked better. Cut clean trough 3,5mm poplar plywood (made eurorack panels, 3 & 1u) but I didn’t get trough a (dirty & crooked) 6mm birch plywood sheet (wanted to make a case). The cutter only yielded 5w of its maximum 50w power. 3,5mm went trough with 4 passes and I tried to get trough the 6mm for two hours. The cutter will be serviced tomorrow.
Made a cute faceplate for my Kassutronic ASR Envelope. Added it on modular grid too. Assembled a DC 5-24v to Dual Power 12v -12v 5v -5v 3.3v Linear Regulator Module kit and build a 16 pin power rail for it (4 sockets). I now have 300mA for a second rack which I can use primarily for testing my builds. It also runs on usb, which means I now the start of a battery driven eurorack system.
Bought a Singer 320k. Seems to be in good condition. It has over twenty stitching pattern disks and I managed to modify the bobbing case (following this guide) so that it accepts 15X1 needles. I can finally fix my pants and make a leather patch to my jeans.