My text for Esitys mag. is out: Uusmaterialistista yhdyntää (2016). The online version of the mag also features an insightful text from Pilvi: Jumalattaria vai sarjamurhaajia?, which looks at how masturbation has been represented on stages.
Masha Gessen details how to survive autocracy in the USA. The same logic applies to today’s politics in Finland under the “True Finns” thumb.
- Believe the autocrat [If he says that he’s gonna – He will].
- Do not be taken in by small signs of normality [If things look like they are staying the same it doesn’t mean they are].
- Institutions will not save you [There are no neutral public institutions. They are managed by the government].
- Be outraged [If you stop resisting they will silence you).
- Don’t make compromises [If you negotiate you legitimise their reign].
- Remember the future [The outcome of events can be affected].
“… when Marx wondered about what would happen if commodities could speak, he might as well have asked slaves, or the Haitian revolutionaries.” writes María Iñigo Clavo in Modernity vs. Epistemodiversity on e-flux (as recommended by Jussi). The arrival of the text is well timed as we just finished a grant proposal together with Eleonora Lundell. We are seeking funds for a talk-shop, where people who have settled to Helsinki would talk about objects they hold dear.