A team of writers assemble in a circle. Each participant should bring with them a list of writers and thinkers, whom they have referred to in their latest draft or publication and a pencil for keeping track of events. The senior member of the group makes sure everyone understands the rules and initiates the song.
- Call out the names in your list in alphabetical order. Follow this structure: “Lastname, firstname is in my list” and repeat it four times. If a text you are citing has multiple authors, each of them should be called out independently. But wait for the group to respond before continuing.
- After a name has been called out, members of the circle will respond to it by singing “Lastname, firstname is not on our list” and repeating it four times.
- If someone in the circle has the name in their list they are to remain silent. After the response of the circle is completed they should interrupt by singing “Lastname, firstname is in my list” (x4) to which the group will respond to by singing “Lastname, firstname is not on our list” (x4).
- If someone in the circle wants to include the name to a list they are planning, they should respond with “Lastname, firstname will be on my list” (x4).
- After a full cycle of responces, the person who initiated the call out will continue according to the alphabetical order of their list. Members of the circle will continue responding according to the rules.
- After the first person has gone trough their entire reference list, the person on their left will continue following the same format, melody and rhythm. But they will exclude names that have already been recited.